Monday, June 07, 2010

Weekend update, with pictures!

I tried to post my pictorial recap of the weekend's events last night, but something was wrong with Blogger.  Many apologies.

Saturday, we went to the World Bird Sanctuary.  Where we met Bogard, among other owls, bald eagles, pelicans, pigeons, chickens, turkey vultures, cranes, hawks and a turkey named Fred.

Bogard

After seeing the birds in the outdoor cages, we relaxed outside the bird hospital and had a snack.  A WBS employee took out a guitar and started singing bird songs.  He was very good, and Zoe and I were thoroughly enjoying ourselves.  Then, another WBS employee came over to Zoe and Hoot.  "Do you like owls?"  "Yes!"  "Ask him to play The Owl Song!"  So she did, and he obliged, and we sang along.

"Hoo hoo hooo hoo hoo hoo hoooooo"

And when he was done playing, my daughter leaned over to me and said, "Ask him to play Bon Jovi."  Yup, she's definitely ours.

On Sunday, Zoe spent some time with her grandparents (who live behind her house) and Mommy spent some time with her own parents and the Corvette.  Papa's Elks Lodge was hosting a car and motorcycle show and we thought it'd be fun to enter it and hang out.

Our 2010 and Mom & Dad's 2000

Knowing full well our entrance fees were a donation, we entered with no expectations and had a good time.  We were required to fill out a form to place in the windshields of our cars, stating our name, the year, make and model, and any special features.  Had M been there, he'd have written a novel.  Since I am considerably less versed in Corvette-language, I simply wrote, "Grand Sport Package."  Papa stared at the line on his own page, saying, "It's just a stock 2000, there aren't any special features."  Then his eyes twinkled and he grinned, before writing, "Driver" on the line.  I think he should have gotten some sort of award for creativity and garnering the most laughs.

After I backed the car into the space, I realized that if M were there, the first thing he'd do is yank the front license plate.  "It breaks up the line of the car."  He's been cursing the state of Missouri for weeks now for requiring a front license plate.  His rebellion is carefully engineered: he purchased a bracket that mounts under/behind the front fascia, where you can slide the plate (mounted in another bracket) in and out easily.  So I pulled the plate off and tossed it in the back of the car.  We snapped a photo with Katie's iPhone (if I had one of my own, I'd have used it...sigh) and e-mailed it to M in England.  Sure enough, his response was something about "Tell Amy good call on pulling the plate...the car looks great!"  (Totally reminds of our wedding day when, as we kneeled at the altar together, he actually leaned back to check my dress, making sure I had the required "butt bow."  He didn't ask for much, so I obliged.)

Beano, Joey and Emma were also there, and we had fun just being together.  It was gorgeous outside, so we relaxed under a shady tree and watch passersby.  I got to dote on Emma again, which made it twice in three days.  She likes it when you say, "Good morning!" so I said that a lot, even though it was no longer morning.  I'll do whatever it takes to get a smile.

Joey was enamored of a very special car in the show, and it was so cool that the owner of this fine vehicle let people sit in it for pictures.  Off Joe and I went, camera in hand, to take advantage of the situation.  He had a big ol' grin, and it was awesome because the car was just the right size for him.  I asked him after the picture, "Would you like a car like that?"  "Yeah."  "Would your mom let you have a car like that?"  "Yeah."  "Where would you drive it?"  "Probably on the highway."

This is the money shot for M, to show him what he missed.
Girls drooling over his mistress.

After the car show, I met up with Zoe and her grandparents at Uncle Ken and Aunt Mary's house for one of her delectable gourmet meals.  These are also money shots to show M what he missed.  He may be in Europe, but man, I'm eatin' better than he is!  What's not to love about homemade paella and tomato-basil bisque?  Eat your heart out, honey!  I scored the good stuff!  How many times have you had fish & chips this week?!

So, all in all, it was a great weekend.  Lots of fun with lots of people.  I wish M could have been here to share it, but he was busy touring castles and seeing Shakespeare's house.  I was awakened Sunday morning with a phone call: "G'day, my lady."  It was adorable, and would have been even more so had he been able to pull off an actual British accent.  His foreign languages all sound slightly (or sometimes very) Jamaican.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home