Thursday, June 17, 2010

Oh, so that's what you've been doing...

Many apologies for neglecting to post any photographs lately.  You see, I've become a mermaid.  Or something like that.

Since my BFF signed me up for a damn sprint triathlon that is now less than a month away (remind me why she's my BFF again?) I thought I better, you know, see if I could actually swim.  So Stef went to the pool with me and taught me some basics, and held my hand (figuratively) while I began to paddle.

What I had been dreading for months turned out to be so not what I expected.  Turns out I actually love swimming.  Love love love it.  Will continue to do it after the tri.  I mean, I'm absolutely no good at it (Michael Phelps will not be recruiting me for the Olympic swim team anytime soon), but it's a great workout and I enjoy it.

Unfortunately, my muscles aren't enjoying it so much.  They voice their displeasure by cramping up at the most inopportune times.  Like, in the middle of a lap.  First one foot goes, then maybe the calve, and before you know it the other foot and leg join in.  A quartet of cramps, a choir of charlie horses.  It's getting better, though.  Monday night everything cramped up.  Tuesday night most of it cramped up.  Tonight only one foot and a calve cramped up.  I call that progress.  Despite the cramping, I managed to get 31 laps in, which is good because I need to do the equivalent of 36 laps for the tri.  I'd have done all 36 tonight but I ran out of time, and I ran out of time because I had to keep stopping to rub out muscle cramps.

I guess swimming works different muscles than running, because I pound out 2.33 miles every morning on the treadmill and have no issues.  Then I hit the water and yikes!

Anyway, I'll be back at it tomorrow night, and it'll get better.  But because I swim at night now, after Zozer goes to bed, I get home pretty tired and ready for sleep myself.  Need to figure out a good blogging time in with work, running, swimming and playing with Zozo.

I did process one shot for today, though.  It's become tradition that Zoe's Grammy paints her nails when they see each other.  This time they went all out, and did a rainbow.  Zoe's carefully chose her colors and clearly instructed Grammy which nail to pain which color.  Grammy dutifully obeyed and here's the result:

Adorable!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot to tell them how faboo you look in your goggles and swim cap!

8:15 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Actually, my hope is that the ridiculousness of my goggles and swim cap pulls people's eyes away from the train wreck that is currently my lower body.

I do rather like the fact that nothing jiggles when I swim in the pool, unlike running on treadmill.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Natalie Mikolajczak said...

a tri! wow. I'm envious of your ambition, and your ability. Go for it!!

7:22 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I feel the need to clarify that it's not a full-blown triathlon...it's a SPRINT triathlon. As Stef would say, it's a triathlon with training wheels. 1/2 mile swim, 12 mile bike, 3.1 mile run. It may take me all day, but I'll get it done. I'm mostly doing it for the t-shirt. And the opportunity to write numbers on my body with a Sharpie.

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home