Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Funny how things work

I'm so so SO excited to report that today I accepted a job offer! I'm the new marketing manager, effective April 5, for the US subsidiary of a French conglomerate. Today I received an office tour, an introduction to an office full of colleagues for whom I will have to re-learn their names in about two weeks, and a glimpse into my new office (big desk, big window, laptop, nice chair, etc.). My boss instructed the receptionist to please order my business cards in between telling me how happy they are that I've accepted the position and that he has a few big projects he'd like to toss my way with little supervision: "I expect you to work autonomously...you take 'em and you run with 'em." "No problem!"

I'm still in shock. This position came because one of my former Red Cross bosses saw my "I'm FREEEEElancing now!" status update on Facebook (I can count on one hand the number of status updates I've posted to Facebook, but I'm really glad I did that one) and put me in touch with another former Red Crosser who is running this US division. The guy had called my friend the day before, "Hey, we're gonna start looking for a marketing person...got any names?" My friend saw my status update and contacted me to see if I was interested ("Hell yeah!") and then passed my info back.

I got the call in Florida...we chatted for a few minutes and it went well, and ended with my promising to send him my resume. Thanks to Uncle Marty's computer, I pulled up my Yahoo account, downloaded my resume from my e-mail box (I had attached it to e-mails sent in applications for other jobs), made a few tweaks, and sent it along that day. Got the interview last week with my new supervisor and the head of their sales team, and was told that I'd be called this week to meet the COO for a final interview. Instead, they called me yesterday and said, "Your interview went so well last week that we decided to just move forward. No need for another meeting. We'd like to make you an offer today..." That was the first time I fell out of my chair.

The second time came when he set forth the salary offer. I'm receiving a 50% pay increase from my last job. Yes, M has already updated our budget spreadsheet, and yes, he's grinning from ear to ear these days. I can't believe it, but he says, "Believe it. You're finally getting paid what you're worth." Sweet boy, my M.

So. There it is. I think the universe knows what's going on at all times and makes adjustments as it sees fit. I'd have never landed this job had I still been employed. Things happen for a reason. You just gotta trust that when they do, it'll all work out.

No image today. Too busy running around doing errands, meeting with the other freelance job I have, seeing old friends, and checking out my new work digs. I did have the camera with me, but nothing presented itself. I suppose each and every day is photographic, but I'm cutting myself some slack given the circumstances.

Gonna be hard to fall asleep tonight!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home