Thursday, March 25, 2010

Artful laundry disposal

My home used to be boring. It was typically neat and (decently) clean. There are decorations around that we've picked up from our travels. My vintage camera collection, our beer steins, some photographs.

But now...now my house is about a million times better. It has been spiced with the pieces of life only a child can bring. There is a purple bouncy ball in the foyer. The hallway is strewn with plastic golf clubs and balls. In any given room, at any given time, you'll find various beanbag animals and objects: a pumpkin ("Punky"), a small red heart that reads "Kiss Me" ("Heart Says Kiss Me"), or a multi-colored bear ("Rainbow Bear"). Hoot, of course, makes the rounds regularly. Strands of plastic beads hang from every conceivable knob and hook. Small wooden food is underfoot, as are Legos, plastic beads, and trains.

Yesterday, as I checked my e-mail, Zoe amused herself. She had started decorating the laundry chute door with stickers several weeks ago, but last night she really went to town. She stood in the hallway and sang while she worked. Long after I finished my work on the computer, she was still going. I just sat here and watched her (the chute is in the hallway right outside the darkroom door). Such simple pleasure. Lucky me, I get the benefits of seeing it and being reminded of that moment of bliss every time I throw dirty clothes down the chute.

And before now, I never realized just how boring the laundry chute door was. I much prefer the new door.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home