Friday, February 12, 2010

Family Portrait

Lately Zoe likes to point out groupings of three and label them, "Mommy, Daddy and Zoe." Trees. Cylinders in the fountain at Great Grandma's nursing home. Stuffed animals. If there are three of something, they immediately get labeled. She's been thinking a lot about her little family.

Most days when I pick her up, there is artwork in her cubby. It's been pretty neat to watch her art progress, and my second favorite part of the day is seeing what she created (the most favorite part being the hug when I arrive to pick her up). Yesterday, I found this waiting for me in her cubby:Uh oh. I got a little nervous. I mean, there are three distinct sizes on there, and let's just say that Fathead down there at the bottom isn't the most flattering portrayal of anyone. Part of me didn't want to ask, but I figured it would come out sooner or later. I did and didn't want to know how my daughter views me. Curiosity overcame fear. I tried to be nonchalant. "Hey, Zo. This is pretty cool. Who are they?"

Huge, huge sigh of relief when she pointed to Fathead: "That's Daddy!" I think those are supposed to be his ears there, under his arms, but I'm not sure. I didn't have a chance to ask because then she moved on to what she considered the only flaw in her art. "I forgot to draw arms and legs for myself."

I love that four-year-olds' drawings of people never, ever have torsos. We all just have arms and legs that sprout right out from our heads. Every single one of Zoe's friends draw like this. Well, except some of them forget to draw arms at all and there just two long, spindly legs that descend from the head in a jellyfish-like fashion. I'd rather have ears under my arms than no arms at all, so I consider us lucky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home