Tuesday, February 09, 2010

90-year-old names

Sunday we went to the nursing home to visit M's grandma, who turned 92. We took her flowers that were buds when selected from the florist's fridge and were quickly blooming in the heat of the nursing home. Why are nursing homes about 90 degrees inside?

I always make it a point to look at the nametags on the doors as we walk through. I love the names. They are little old lady names (not many men...we women live longer, you know) and they tickle me. I wish they'd come back in style. I can never remember them on my own, so during our last visit I did some stealth shooting and captured them electronically. (Props to my friend Val who encouraged me to overcome my fear of nursing home cops who might take offense to anyone photographing anything in a nursing home.)

Here is my catch. Nothing great photographically speaking, but that's not why I did it. Here's to Frieda, Edna, Lois, Mabel and two Bernices. I'm sorry to admit that my Thelma and Viola shots were too blurry to post. Those are fantastic names! Zoe has a Selma in her class, which is close to Thelma. I get a kick every time I see Selma's name, and told her mom the other day that I thought it was really cool. "Thanks," she said, "She's named after her great grandmother." Well, duh. Selma/Thelma and the rest are all 90-year-old names. I went to high school with a Bernadette, and she went by Bernie, which I also thought was very cool. Probably because it was unique and my name is anything but. I guess Bernice could go by Bernie, too, but if I were going to go with Bernice I'd spell it Berenice, after the great photographer Berenice Abbott. Is that shortened to Berenie?

When I'm old and decrepit and in a nursing home, and they're wheeling me around the halls and snickering behind my back because I refuse to let go of a 50-year-old Nikon D300, some girl with a new-fangled modern camera is going to come in and she's going to be sorely disappointed with the names. They'll all be Amy or Jennifer, because in all my classes there were at least 3 Amys and typically 4 Jennifers.

With my photographic take for the day, I couldn't leave out Ann, the birthday girl, at 92 years young.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home