Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The bigger things

I think it's amazing how when your life seems to be crumbling around you, something happens that snaps everything into a sharp relief where it's so incredibly easy to see what's really important.

I woke up Saturday morning to a Facebook friend request in my mailbox. From my brother. Who I haven't seen in 6 years. My hand shook as I moused over and clicked the link, and then I cried as I read the message he sent.

Sunday night, my father had both of us, and our spouses (and Zozer of course!) over to his house for dinner. I think I about tackled them when they walked in the door. The next five hours were spent talking and catching up and laughing. There was a lot of laughing. One of the things I missed most about my brother was his sense of humor. He still has it, and if anything, it's gotten even better over the last 6 years. Although 6 years is a long time, it felt like we just picked up right where we left off. Only we look a little older and Christina, my sister-in-law, had a belly full of baby and my preschooler danced and sang and played before we tucked her into bed. It was heaven, and I collapsed into bed at 1:30 exhausted and happy.

Yesterday morning my father called. Christina's water broke at 7 a.m. and they were headed to the hospital. Talk about timing! At 12:08 p.m. Stella Vie came into this world, perfect and healthy. We went to the hospital last night and I was able to hold my new niece in my arms. It was hard to contain my emotions. (And really, is that name not the shit? First my cousin on M's side gave us Jane Isabella, and now we have Stella Vie. I am related to some seriously kick-ass baby namers.)

I almost cannot comprehend the serendipity of getting back my brother and sister-in-law, and less than 24 hours later gaining a niece.

So, welcome to our little family, Stella. I can't wait to watch you grow up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home