Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Go Conan

Not that it means anything to anyone, but I feel compelled to voice my support for Conan O'Brien, current host of The Tonight Show on NBC. The guy is getting royally boofed by his network, and worse, it's all public.

I'm not sure why Jay Leno chose 2009 to retire, and then come out of retirement, but none of that is Conan's fault. The man had a contract, for Pete's sake. He worked for years and years to reach this goal, and because of Mr. Leno's apparent lack of ability to hold an audience during prime time, he's getting the shaft. It seems that Leno must have naked pictures of NBC's head of programming or something. Good gawd, cut the man loose already. Quit disrupting everything and everyone because Leno is stamping his feet and demanding his old time slot back. You made your bed, now lie in it.

I can't predict what will happen to Conan. Hopefully another network will pick him up (and his talented staff) and give him a real shot, much like Letterman. Who, incidentally, also got screwed by NBC with its late-night programming choices.

I like Conan. I know a lot of the older generation may not get his brand of humor, but I like the guy. I like his hair. I like his antics. I like his toothy grin. I like Andy Richter's perennial role of stooge extraordinaire. I grew up on Letterman and a little on Carson before the segue into Leno. I enjoyed them all, but honestly, the Tonight Show could use some freshening up. Conan brings that while still maintaining some of the tradition that makes the Tonight Show sparkle. It's a good fit.

So, NBC, hear this from a disgruntled viewer. You lose Conan, you lose me.

I know this doesn't mean much, but dammit, it's the principle of the matter!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here Here!!!

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure Jay was "forced" to retire - that wasn't his call... I can't stand Conan or his show (way too sophmoric for even me!), but do feel sorry for him in this situation. Letterman blows - you seen him lately? He's about 20/80 funny/not funny. Bring back Johnny Carson!!! Hell, bring back the 3 Stooges!!

12:02 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

So, poor Jay was "forced" to retire after an 18-year run with the Tonight Show? And with, what, like 5 years of warning? Most people get 15 minutes to pack their desk while an HR person and security bouncer stands by making sure they don't take a paper clip. Leno and NBC had five freakin' years to figure this out, and this is what's happening? I mean, c'mon already.

Yeah, Letterman blows. He hasn't been good in years.

No one can top Carson. Or Moe, Larry and Curly. Although I still contend that the whole notion of Curly Joe was flawed from the beginning. Even Shemp wasn't as good as Curly.

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home