Friday, July 31, 2009

Our lives in medical terms

Now that the term is over (law final finished Wednesday night - wahoo!), I get to move on to more fun, exciting things. Like wrapping up the paperwork for our new life insurance policy.

It seems that we're getting older now and the premiums on our current policy are tripling in response. So, we're switching companies to save some dough, and that means that the new company requires our health history.

The last time I did this, for the first policy, we were around 25 and, for all intents and purposes, had no health history. Unless you count some really bad hang-overs in our college days.

Now, though, things are different. I pulled out our "Medical Insurance" file, which was the first clue. The damn thing is about six inches thick and I needed a crowbar to get it out of the jam-packed file cabinet. Wow, okay.

Then I started going through all the paperwork. I felt like I was reading a med school textbook. Pars planitis, pericarditis, appendicitis, bone contusions, torn labrum. Damn. And that was just M. Ha, I thought. I'm way healthier than he is. Then I started mine. Infertility, pregnancy (which is sorta the cure for infertility, dontcha think?), colonscopy, LASIK, broken foot, ganglion cyst, mammogram. Holy mother of God. I feel old.

All in all, though, we're doing really well. The result of everything adds up to an overall bill of good health: full recoveries on all procedures and inflictions, and negative results on all diagnostic scans. How lucky are we?

I organized all our material into paperclipped stacks by medical event, and that's when I realized that the paperwork for M's orthoscopic surgery to repair his torn labrum was about an inch to an inch and a half thick, whereas my pregnancy/Zoe's birth paperwork was three sheets of paper. I offer that as proof that he's much more high maintenance than I, but I think his viewpoint will be slightly different.

In my anal retentive way, I've created a lovely chart in Word that outlines each event, lists the date, the doctor (with contact information), diagnosis, treatment, meds and results. I started a list for Zozer, too, but hers is pretty short. Hip dysplasia from her being breech, acid reflux, and pink eye.

So, my goal for this weekend is to wrap up the insurance forms and relax, secure in the knowledge that we three are as healthy as horses. Whatever that means. Are horses really healthier than other animals?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home