Friday, July 13, 2007

Ch-ch-ch-changes

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered."
-Nelson Mandela

Isn't this true? So very, very true. It can be on a macro level, as I'm sure Mr. Mandela experienced after his incarceration, but I think it can also be on a micro level, too. Like when you return home after a long day and your house feels different than when you left. It's not the house that's changed...it's you. You perceive the same things differently, might notice something that you wouldn't have earlier in the day.

I think the concept of change in people is very interesting. Some folks are afraid of change, and that's okay, but what they don't realize is that change is constant. We are not who we were yesterday. In fact, we are not who we were five minutes ago. Things happen around you that change forever how you view the world. I think that's so cool. I love that I'm not who I was even 30 seconds ago.

I guess what I'm saying is that it is impossible to not react to your environment.

What is amazing, if you think about it, is that despite all this changing going on, people can stay married for years and years and years. M and I will be married 10 years this October 25, and will have been together as a couple 15 years this October 18. Fifteen years I've known this boy, and he's known me. I sure as hell am not the same person I was 15 years ago, and I think it's incredible that not only does he still love me after all this change, but that he actually loves me more. We didn't know, 15 long years ago, what type of people we'd be now, but we signed up anyway.

Sometimes you may think that you haven't changed, or that you changed and then went back. Like when I was a photographer, then I wasn't, then I became one again. However, I'm not the photographer now that I was all those years ago. And not because I got new gear, or because I learned how to use it better, but because I see differently now. I see through the filter of being a woman in her thirties, with a husband and a child at home, which would have been impossible when I started, a mere girl with the miseries of high school weighing on her. All the experiences I've had since then, all the people I've met, the places I've been...all that adds up to create the person I am today, and which colors my work in both obvious and imperceptible ways.

So, yeah, change is cool. Cool, man, cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home