Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Hootie pens a letter

We signed up for a service with Zoe's camp where we can view photos from the week and send her emails. The counselors print them out every morning and deliver them, so each night M and I compose a message and send it along. (In other words, I barf on the page and M reads it and says, "Yeah! That sounds good!" and then we send it along.)

They warned parents not to write too much about missing our campers and stuff, to avoid encouraging homesickness. It's been an exercise for me, taxing my not inconsiderable writing skills. I am so used to typing what I'm feeling that I'm finding it hard to write differently. So I say things like, "I hope you're having a great time!" and "Your cats are meowing a lot!" instead of what I'm feeling, which is "OH MY GOD I MISS YOU SO MUCH AND I WOULD LIKE TO COME AND GET YOU RIGHT NOW JUST SO I CAN SEE YOUR LITTLE FACE AND HEAR YOUR LAUGH AND HOW ON EARTH CAN YOU NOT NEED YOUR MOTHER ANY MORE YOU'RE ONLY EIGHT FOR CHRIST'S SAKE."

I'm thinking that wouldn't be good to write, so I haven't.

Tonight, in an attempt to shake things up and keep myself from writing anything like the above, I composed a missive from Hootie, her beloved owl. Some of this won't make sense to many of you as they are inside family jokes, but I kind of wanted to document it here so we have it. It's not often your stuffed owl sends you a letter at camp, after all.

Dear Zozo,

This is Hootie, your owl, writing. Hoooo! I just wanted to say that I'm doing a good job taking care of your Mommy and Daddy while you are away. I hang out on Mommy's nightstand at night, so I can keep an eye on her. Some times I fly around and Hoo, and then Daddy tells me to be quiet. He hasn't let me drive in a few days. I'm not sure why. I'm a pretty good driver. Although I do like to use the steering wheel like a monkey bar, and sometimes I cover my eyes, and I do like to dance a lot. Maybe I'm not such a good driver. But I do like to drive!

Your cats are very furry, and very loud. The fat one likes to meow a lot. She's always meowing. The furry one blows boogers everywhere. He's kind of disgusting. Sometimes I go for rides around the house on them. Usually I just Hoo at them and try to get them to be quiet, especially when Max is singing The Song of His People.

Hershey is doing pretty good. I visited with her today and gave her a treat. She wheeked at me. I am trying to teach her how to Hoo, but it's not going very well. All she wants to do is wheek. I'm glad I am an owl. I much prefer Hooing.

I've been watching out the windows, too. The little rabbits in the yard are growing. They like to hop around a lot. I bet they wish they could fly like me. They don't Hoo either. They are pretty quiet, actually, unlike your loud cats.

Max keeps asking for meatloaf. What is up with that? I can't make him a meatloaf. I'm an owl, for goodness sake. I offered him some caramel-covered acorns, but he keeps insisting on meatloaf. And then he sings his M-A-X song. Please make him some meatloaf when you get home. I'm tired of him asking.

Mooli is getting along with the Beanie Boos very well. They're all hanging out above the doorway to the mudroom. I think they like coffee. They always look very wide awake. I fly up to visit them sometimes, but they're always staring at me so I usually don't stay long.

I've been reading a few good books while you've been away. I like Owl Babies and the one about the little white owl who eats toast and tells stories. Those are my favorite.

Summer flying lessons are going pretty well. I'm learning some new tricks. I'll have to show you when you get home.

I hope you're having a good time at Camp O. Does the O stand for Owl? I bet it does. Have fun at Camp Owl. Maybe I'll get to go there some day. Are you learning flying tricks too?

See you soon!
Love,
Hootie
P.S. HOOOOOO!
P.P.S. Mommy and Daddy say Hi and We love you!
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home