Saturday, July 28, 2012

heading east

210:365


We headed east today, towards home. Steamboat Springs, CO to Hays, KS. The first half or so of the drive was lovely. Lots of beautiful scenery, enhanced by the early morning start that offered fog and mist. After we left the mountains behind, though...zzzzz. I cat-napped while M drove. Good man, M.

Long, long day tomorrow getting home. I'm so excited to see Zozer that I can hardly stand it. Yes, this trip was so great in so many different ways, but I left behind one of the two people I most love to be with.

Also, I'm looking forward to not living out of a suitcase. While the summer cottage has next to no closet space, at least our clothes are either hung or placed in dresser/chest drawers and do not need to be arranged and re-arranged each morning for flat packing.

I'm quite proud of that, by the way. The flat packing. Of the many cars that made this trip, only two were able to take their lid off/put their top down: us and a convertible. Our friends were in awe that we were able to accomplish this throughout the trip, even after purchasing souvenirs. It was a goal from the beginning, and I'm so pleased that we were able to make it happen. The back of a Corvette doesn't have much room to begin with, but once you take the lid off and snap it into the brackets under the hatch you essentially cut what little space you have by maybe a third or even close to half. All your items must fit under the lid, or in the small space left between the lid and the seats. We did it! It helped that M didn't lug his laptop, choosing only to bring his iPad. It also helped that I still have the soft-sided Lands End luggage from college (it's looking pretty cruddy, but it still works) that allows us to pack all our clothes in space less than a foot high. Yes, we did laundry once, halfway through, but so did our companions who were unable to take their lids off or put their tops down.

Last run tomorrow, with lid on (hello 100+ degrees!), so we don't need to be quite as careful with packing. Throw it in, and head out with fantastic memories and great friends who have become even closer. I don't think there are many groups of 8 couples who can spend nearly two weeks on the road together and still be laughing their butts off at the end, but we did it. Rounded out tonight by learning how to play Farkle (M won) after a raucous dinner where I'm sure we scarred our 18-year-old server for life (trucksticles may or may not have been a major part of the conversation).

Okay, I've farted around here enough, trying to send my images to myself so I can post them here using the laptop (STILL...come on you Blogger clowns, get it fixed already!). The usual on-line interface is now also jacked up, so I'm including my daily pix with my picture of the day instead of doing two separate posts and making my late night even later. POTD is that first one up top, and the rest are here. I fear my future POTDs won't be nearly as beautiful as the dailies I've been posting for over a week now. It's hard to make a bad image with material like this in front of you!




















0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home