Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Our lives, in bullet points

Hmmm.  Okay.  I think at this point brief (okay, maybe not so brief) bullet points are in order to get us all caught up.

  • We met with another architect firm, have a third interview scheduled for Monday, and a fourth in the wings (I just gotta find the time to call him).  We are quickly determining what we like, and what we don't like.  And it's starting to freak me out a little bit that we're actually going to move forward.  I've been dreaming about this for so long, and had halfway convinced myself that our broken house is what we'd return to after seeing Zoe graduate from college, shaking our heads ruefully and chuckling, "Well, we never quite did get around to rebuilding, did we?"
  • Went to Bowling Green, KY, to celebrate the National Corvette Museum's 17th anniversary.  We saw a Shaker Village (incredible) and a dairy/cheese farm (also very cool) and lots and lots of pretty cars.  Also did a fair amount of damage in the gift shop.  I love these little trips that allow us to be just a couple for awhile.  That's what happens when you have a car that seats only two.  We also laughed a ton, and shared some experiences that we'll laugh about for a long time.  "What would you call that thing she was wearing?"  "Ummm, a muumuu.  And a strapless one at that!"
  • Zoe started soccer, and M started coaching.  She'll do great, and he's a fantastic coach.  Her season starts this Sunday with a 4 p.m. game, and I'm looking forward to that and the rest of the season.  Should be a lot of fun.  She has the most adorable little black and pink soccer cleats, and she runs like the freakin' wind.  While I can't quite believe I'm now officially a soccer mom, I'm pretty excited about it.
  • I submitted one of my photographs to a small national parks competition and achieved honorable mention.  Pretty sure they gave honorable mention status to everyone who didn't earn first, second or third, but still.  I can go on their website and there I am.  This was a big step for me as I don't normally enter my photographs in competitions.  Too afraid of the rejection.  Turns out it ain't so painful.  Private message me if you want the link (can't give it here...have to maintain my Internets anonymity for privacy).
  • At our Corvette Club meeting last night, I was called up to the front of the room and presented with a plaque.  Seems a national organization thinks our newsletter, which I took over editing about 6 or 7 issues ago, was worthy of second place in their national competition (300+ entrants).  Our ambassador had submitted our newsletter, and she learned over the weekend that we placed.  She decided to present me with the award in front of our whole club. It was really, really neat.  I was given the plaque to bring home.  Not sure how long it'll be on display in the kitchen, but for now, I like it there.  In the meantime, I've got some work to do: namely, track down first place and find out what the hell I have to do to beat it next year.
  • Got a call today from Zoe's principal.  I was on a concall when it came...and as I'm sure any parent would, I'll hang up with the Pope if a call from Zoe's school rings through.  At the end of recess, a bell signals the children to line up by their teacher to return inside.  Today, the bell rang, the children lined up, and the teachers led them inside.  A quick headcount showed two little girls missing from the group.  It seems that our daughter, along with another child, decided that instead of lining up, it would be more fun to run and hide.  So they did. Granted, the playground was teeming with first and second grade children, and adult supervisors, so it wasn't particularly hard to hide in plain sight.  She was quickly busted, and the principal told me she laid into them pretty good.  Zozo apparently burst into tears and apologized profusely.  The principal told me that she feels Zoe was "a victim of peer pressure."  Oh, you bet your sweet ass there will be a discussion about this tonight.  I'm not so upset about the hiding as the peer pressure thing.  Girlfriend needs to make her own decisions, whether that involves misbehaving or not.
  • I've been cleaning out the house, and it feels good.  I've been absolutely ruthless.  There have been a few things I've hesitated about...maybe I should keep this...and then I think about having to pack it, move it, move it again, and unpack it, and any sentimentality I had goes right out the window.  The whole house is feeling clean, clear and light.  M keeps commenting about how much he likes the change, and I just feel like I can breathe again.  I should have done this ages ago.
All in all, life is good.  I'm sure something will come along soon to upset the apple cart, but for now I'm going to enjoy it, and the fine weather that means it's not a big deal that our air conditioning doesn't work.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wondering where will yall be crashing during this rebuild and how long will it take?

7:05 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

It looks like we'll be able to crash at M's grandmother's home (she passed away last year). M has specified that demolition may not commence until after he's removed the 2011 Christmas display, and that construction must be complete in time for him to erect the 2012 display. That's our window!

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home