Thursday, May 12, 2011

Well...

I know, I know.  I've been pretty incommunicado the past couple weeks.  Meh.

Life has just been cruising along.  Trips in and out of town.  House cleaning and laundry.  Work.  Other than my gran smashing her fingers in the garage door Monday there hasn't been much news to report.  She's doing fine, by the way, but it was a good sign that she needs round-the-clock supervision and care and so she's now in a nursing home where she belongs.

I've mentioned before that we've led a pretty packed life since graduation, and I think it's starting to catch up with me.  I'm just as busy as I've ever been, but lately I feel like I'm skimming along right on the surface of things.  Never really diving deep.  Part of it is being distracted about multiple things going on at the same time.  Part of it is being so scheduled that I'm constantly aware of the time and that I need to leave by "this time" at the latest to get to my next place.  Work and personal life are mirroring each other right now: I'm doing a lot of different things and none of it particularly well.  As evidenced by a glaring typo in the headline of a blog post from last week.  Sheesh.

It's high time to simplify, but right now I have neither the time nor the energy to do so.  Ironic that simplification takes active effort, but there it is.

I just learned today that I have to give a big presentation Monday afternoon on the 2011/2012 communications strategy for North America.  And about five minutes later realized that most of my audience will be at our NA headquarters in Lenexa.  So off I fly, again, early Monday morning.  My sister joked recently that about the only time I have to blog is when I'm on an airplane.  I think she might be right.  I doubt I'll be blogging on Monday's flight, though, as I will probably be working on...wait for it...the 2011/2012 communications strategy for North America.  (See above statement about doing nothing particularly well.)

The other night, driving home from the hospital after visiting my gran, I looked up the highway past my exit.  And the thought crossed my mind, "What if I kept going?"  It was exhilarating, the thought of just bolting for awhile.  But then I realized that it would be fun for about five seconds and then I'd miss my Zozo and my M.  Okay, so I should stop and get them.  And the car needs gas, so there's that.  And it's the wrong car, anyway.  The Corvette is much more romantic than a '99 beige Honda Accord.  Plus I should get some clothes, and the camera. Oh, and the iPhone charger because I desperately need that, no matter where I go.  And I laughed, and realized that I will never, ever be the impetuous, irresponsible, unreliable girl who drives off into the sunset and that, ultimately, that's okay.

Even if I do skim along the surface of my life every once in awhile.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home