Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Oui! Oui!

Oh, the French.  The French!

I am smitten.  Totally in love with the French.  And France.  Everything.

They drive like they are invincible.  Incredibly fast on narrow roads.  They kiss on both cheeks...coworkers, people they've just met...everyone.  Their language is melodious and oozes intimacy.  They can cook like no one else.  And the wine.  The wine!

Yesterday was so busy, and so long, that I collapsed after returning to my hotel shortly before 10.  I caught up on e-mail (because my day-to-day job most certainly doesn't stop just because I'm over here) and found myself falling asleep with the computer on my lap.  So, no post yesterday.

The day was great. I had a tour of the plant here, attached to our global headquarters.  I met my colleagues on the international communications team (and tried to hide the fact that I'm totally geeked out about being on an international communications team).  I worked with Martin, my British boss, until a bit after 7 and then we were off to dinner.  He took me to the Cosy Cafe, which was an incredible introduction to French cuisine.  Small cafe, with a fireplace and a server who knew Martin by name (apparently he likes to lunch there).  I had fois gras, gratinee (which is French onion soup, although in France it's really unnecessary to call it French...it's just, you know, onion soup), and a tartilette, which was layers of potatoes, bacon, and cheese.  Oh.  My.  God.  It came in a tiny casserole dish, especially small given American portion sizes, and it was perfect.  Just enough to eat without feeling gluttonous.  I had one glass of white wine.  And half a bottle of red.  Delight!

Today was a full day in the office, working mainly with Philippe (fee-leep!) who manages corporate web communications.  An adorable young man with clicky shoes and bags under his eyes due to his newborn, Alice ("Ah-leese, you know, like Ah-leese in Wonderland!").  We ate lunch together in the corporate cafeteria.  I'd venture to guess that there isn't a corporate cafeteria in America that puts goat cheese (much less a lot of goat cheese) on pizza.  Lunch was capped off with our second coffee of the day.  And by coffee I mean fancy schmancy coffee from the cappuccino machine because the French wouldn't deign to have a Mr. Coffee in the office.  There's no Coke machine, but there are multiple cappuccino machines throughout the building.  And they all have a button that, for me, needed no translation: Mocca.

Tonight was dinner at Martin's house.  We had quite the international crowd.  I was there with another colleague from the States, plus we had Martin and his wife who are British but spent 18 years in Africa, and then there was Stephane and his wife who are French.  And three dogs and two cats (two of the dogs were Pip and Otto, and one cat was Georges...I don't remember the other names).  Dinner was amazing. Some sort of baked tomatoes with delicious stuff inside and sprinkled on top, gnocchi, grilled chicken marinated in lemon juice and thyme, and a squash/artichoke concoction that had quite a spicy kick to it.  Oh, and three bottles of wine from the region here, Saint Emilion, including one from the vineyards attached to Martin and Sarah's home.  The wine barn is literally 50 feet out their front door.  The house is surrounded by vineyards, and it was beautiful even today when it was overcast and with no leaves on the vines.  Sarah invited me back, any time, to visit, and told me to bring M.  He would love them as much as I do, so I'm on a mission to make that happen.

Philippe said today, "I think you should come back here on a regular basis. Maybe once quarterly or once a trimester."  He didn't even finish the sentence before I said, "Yes!"

It's hard to believe that Tuesday will be the 1-year anniversary of starting with this company.  Normally the honeymoon wears off within 6 months or so.  In my case, it was a bit rough going at first due to it being a completely new industry for me and receiving little to no direction for the first two months, but I got my feet under me and now it's quite possibly the best job I have ever had.  The pay is good.  The people are great.  The fringe benefits are fantastic (they sent me to France, for Pete's sake!).

Okay, it's late, and I'm tired, and I have another full day ahead of me.  Bon soir!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ping! Ping! Ping! Haven't checked your blog in quite a while and then tonight I check it and BOOM! you're in France. I am super duper pea green with envy (the good kind). It appears you are having a simply mah-velous time. I hope the fun continues. Let's lunch when you get back and I can hear every little detail and see every single photo you take. Continued thrillingness on your trip. Obviously this is a note just for you and not public consumption.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Wow what an exciting time. I', teaching on "Dream Jobs" this week in my English classes, can't wait to tell them about you. Pam in Henan

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home