Saturday, May 23, 2009

Saturday Update

Saturday, May 23, 2009, 9:49 p.m. local time
Wildcat Hill, Carmel, California

I’m sitting here in a little building called Bodie House, which has been in the Weston family for three generations. Edward Weston, for those of you who don’t remember, is one of my most favorite photographers of all time. I’ve had his Daybooks since high school and have read them multiple times. His home here on Wildcat Hill, in the Carmel highlands, is legendary. It’s “the little house with the big mood,” and that’s about as true a statement as I’ve ever heard. Bodie House was supposed to be the garage for Edward and Charis Weston’s car, but it wasn’t situated well and they transformed it into a little writing studio for Charis. I absolutely love the fact that I’m here, with my camera, making images of Point Lobos just as Edward did, and here, with my keyboard, pounding out words just as Charis did. And it’s not the least bit ironic that I work entirely in the digital domain in both worlds!

Today was a big day for me. Big big. Like, HUGE. Gigantic. Mega-big. (I think you get the picture, so I’ll stop with the big adjectives for now.)

This morning began with breakfast at a local Santa Cruz spot with Ted and Frances Orland. They graciously picked us up from our hotel and took us to a place that, if we had one in St. Louis, would cause me to weigh 400 pounds. Many cups of coffee and lots of laughter later, we parted ways – but only for a few hours.

M and I packed up and headed south to Carmel, where we got our bearings, found the road to the Weston’s (it’s pretty hidden) and spent some time at Point Lobos. I made a lot of images, but have yet to really dig into them. That’ll probably wait until I’m home and on the Mac, where it’s easier to work and where I have my full Photoshop suite. After getting thoroughly chilled on the Point, we checked in at Bodie House and got to meet Gina and Kim Weston, who are about the nicest folks since, well, since Ted Orland. We’re hoping they’ll carve out some time for us tomorrow morning so I can tour Edward’s house and darkroom, and Kim’s studio. After ditching our things and a quick glance around Bodie House (and more than one pinch to make sure I wasn’t dreaming), we headed into downtown Carmel and ate at a great little place recommended by Gina called Village Corner. We stuffed our gullets and then walked a few blocks to the Center for Photographic Art where the Ansel, Remembered exhibit was taking place. Ted was on the panel, along with other noted photographers like Martha Casanave, Al Weber, David Bayles and Mark Citret. Ansel’s children, Michael and Anne, were also on-hand. We heard lots of great stories about Ansel and his workshops, and saw a wonderful exhibit. Afterwards, we met with Ted, Mark and Martha in the courtyard and I got to purchase some books. The photographers were all so accommodating and signed them on the spot for me.

For the second time today, I stumbled when a well-known photographer asked me a simple question. It happened first when I met Kim Weston, then mere hours later when talking to Martha Casanave. It’s not complicated, and it’s easy to understand.

“Are you a photographer?”

“Uhhhhh.” I sounded like a moron. It’s one thing to call myself a photographer when I’m hanging out with the family and doinking around doing my thing in St. Louis. It’s an entirely different matter when talking to Photographers (with capital P’s). Especially kick-ass West Coast Photographers.

Thankfully, Ted was there for the second stumble and helped me out. “Amy’s still working up the courage to call herself a photographer.” Yep, when I’m talking to Photographers, I sure am.

Martha looked at me shrewdly, and, with a warm and generous tone, said, “You should just say it.” She signed my book, “For Amy, fellow explorer…”

Ahhhhh! I’ve been on cloud nine ever since.

M and I left the reception when it started to weigh heavier on the hoity-toity side (we were wearing jeans and sweatshirts and, I’m ashamed to admit, I stooped to wearing socks with my Keens sandals – yes, yes, Stef, I know you told me to already, and I did it today only because it was freakin’ cold here!) and walked around downtown Carmel a bit. Got to visit Weston Gallery and a few other places – including a local coffee house - and found an incredible toy store for M to explore. Later we hopped in the car and headed to Monterey, just to see what we could find. We found beautiful scenic stops next to the ocean and a phenomenal restaurant on Fisherman’s Wharf called Rappa’s, that has the best damn clam chowder since the old Noah’s Ark in St. Charles.

Tomorrow morning we’re shooting Point Lobos again (finding Weston Beach this time!), and hopefully will get the chance to visit with the Westons some more. Then we’re headed inland to Yosemite and hopefully warmer weather.

My Bucket List grows shorter and shorter!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home