Friday, May 22, 2009

Friday Night (Saturday Eve!)

Friday, May 22, 2009, 10:51 p.m. local time
Santa Cruz, California

We've arrived in CA! This morning we debarked our beloved Southwest Chief and boarded the Coast Starlight for the ride from Los Angeles up to San Jose. Because we weren't on this train overnight, I decided to save some bucks and opted for coach class seats. We lucked out in that we got the left side of the train, which is the side that got to view the ocean. We didn't luck out in that we shared a car with people who could charitably be called socially challenged. Having been spoiled rotten on the Southwest Chief with our roomette, it was disconcerting to have to ride with the masses for 10 hours.

Two guys a couple rows behind us felt it necessary to insert the f-bomb about 7 times into each and every sentence. Now, I'm no saint, and I've been known to drop f-bombs here and there. After all, there are some circumstances that simply warrant nothing less. But to have to hear it about a bajillion times in 10 minutes got to be too much. Thanks to our iPod, I left the Brothers F*** to their own conversation and rocked out to the Cure. Later, while we ate dinner in the dining car, two other guys walked in looking for the cafe car. I'd bet good money they are the surviving members of the grunge band Nirvana, dude. They were harmless, though, and good for a laugh.

Anyway, we had an uneventful ride up the coast and saw all kinds of crops (lettuce, grapes, strawberries, cabbage, and some that were entirely unidentifiable) and scenic ocean views while relaxing in the best coach seats imaginable. Airlines would do well to adopt the sort of consideration Amtrak gives to the idea of "coach class."

Caught a cab in San Jose and went to the Avis rent-a-car at San Jose airport where, thanks to Stef, we got a rental car for 24 bucks a day. We got there 10 minutes earlier than our Priceline pick-up time of 9 p.m. and had to wait, as they'd have charged us $51 to get the car 10 minutes early. Car rental places are a total racket.

After that was squared away, we hopped in our gray PT Cruiser (M is beyond thrilled, let me tell you), and headed south to Santa Cruz. First we went up a little bit, then we went down, down, down. We didn't think it was possible to go down any more, but down we went. Touched base with Ted Orland, with whom we're breakfasting tomorrow (sweet!) and found our hotel where we are currently crashed.

Tomorrow is a rather exciting day, at least for the photographer in the family. I get to meet Ted and his wife, and Kim and Gina Weston, and attend an Ansel exhibit and panel discussion in which Ted is participating, and stay that night in Bodie House, which belonged to Edward Weston. I'm not sure my little brain will be able to handle all that excitement, but I'm gonna do my best. M told me he's along for the ride, to handle my gear and basically be my photography caddy. Such a good hubby!

I'm tired now, and have a big day ahead, so I'm going to try to get some sleep. Looking forward to a quiet room that stays in one place and doesn't have mysterious noises throughout the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home