Sunday, May 18, 2008

Hiking at Babler

Because I am a huge idiot, I thought today would be the perfect day to start my hiking career.

And it was. The perfect day, that is.

Except that one should not hike when one has consumed copious quantities of alcohol the night before. Ugh.

But I persevered (and perspired), used every expletive I know, and a few I made up, and except for being so dog-ass tired right now it takes an inordinate amount of effort to type, all is good.

So here's my first trailhead sign, as Stef said that one must always document one's hiking by photographing the trailhead sign. We both agreed that this was a pretty crappy sign, as far as trailhead signs (and otherwise, actually) go, but since it's some sort of unwritten hiker's rule, I made a photograph of it.

That first arrow, the green one that points to the left, that's for the Dogwood Trail, which is what we started on. It's two miles and, according to the Babler State Park site, it's "probably the most strenuous of the four trails. It rises and falls several times over the maximum altitude of the park, about 300 feet." You don't say.

After completing that one, I felt pretty good, so we tackled the blue arrow trail that points to the right. It's the Woodbine Trail and it goes 1.75 miles. It's not the most strenuous, but there is what I would term a "big-ass hill" on it. Not sure if that's proper hiker-speak, but there it is.

Essentially, it was an absolutely beautiful day that was just made for hiking. It's been a long time since I've been out in nature like that, and I'd like to make sure it's never that long again. It was so beautiful and peaceful...something everyone should do on a regular basis. Shout out to Stef for getting me out, and breaking me in all easy-like for my first hike.

Here is my photographic take from the day. I'm not totally thrilled with any of them, but then again, I'm pretty tired and I normally don't shoot "nature shit."

Oooo. Purty leaves.

This bark had a cool, camoflage pattern. Which struck me as ironic, because really, isn't a tree in a forest already pretty camoflaged? Must be a secret, undercover tree busting other trees for pelting unsuspecting hikers with acorns.

Oooo. Purty flowers.

Can't take credit for the cool shadows in this shot. Stef noticed 'em first and pointed 'em out to me. She does that again and I'm gonna smack her with the big lens.

I almost titled this one "Big Logs," but then I thought about how M would read that and giggle, and so I didn't.

I have no idea what this plant is, but I thought it looked cool. It's probably really poisonous and shelters flesh-eating animals under it's leaves, which is why I typically stay away from nature shit. All the pretty stuff is usually bad for you.

This is one of my favorites from the day. Can't even tell you why.
I just like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home