Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Concurring diagnoses!

Okay, boys and girls.  We might be finally settling on a resolution.  At the very least, a common diagnosis.  Dentist today poked around, and rattled his metal mirror torture-device thingy around my teeth and, after peeling me off the ceiling, proclaimed, "I think it's trigeminal neuralgia."  Ding ding ding!  That's what the primary care doc said, so that's what we're going with for now.

The National Institutes of Health summarizes it much better than I, so go here if you want to learn about it.

The good news, before you freak out (Mom), is that all the proper scans and tests have been done and there's no tumor.  It appears I've got this "just because."  I'll work with the neurologist tomorrow to try to confirm the diagnosis and hopefully figure out a treatment plan or, at the very least, a medium to long-term pain management program. 

Well, now that we've got that out of the way, I can stop having this rule my life and get on with living.  'Cause there is way, way too much good stuff going on.

We went out tonight for dinner (love love love Dewey's Pizza!) and I had a pretty pain-free meal (thank you Vic).  It was so nice that we walked down to see if our beloved Custard Station was open for the season yet (it's not...and won't be 'til April) and then just hung out in a little park nearby.  Races with Zozer, lots of spins, tons of laughing.  A lovely walk around the block and then a leisurely drive home through one of our favorite neighborhoods.  It was nice to just be outside, with only light jackets, breathing fresh air.

I was able to register today for Camp Shutter Sisters, which thrills me to no end.  This is the first year for it, and it promises to be spectacular.  All 70 spots sold out in two hours, so I consider myself incredibly lucky for having remembered to set the calendar alarm to go off when registration went live this morning.  Three days on the California coast with other women photographers...a target-rich environment full of nurturing and support and a common goal to recognize the beautiful in every part of our lives.

One of the best parts of my day, though, was learning that my hubby, my wonderful M, told all his colleagues that his wife is most likely suffering from trigenital neuralgia.  After I stopped laughing, I set him straight.  I'm still wondering, though, exactly what trigenital neuralgia would feel like.  Pretty sure I don't want to find out.  Here's hoping he corrects it with his colleagues, or it's going to make the next holiday party a bit uncomfortable.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must live in Kirkwood! I lived there for two years and still miss it all the time (esp. the Custard Station!). I prefer Fortel's to Dewey's, though. :) Congrats on the diagnosis--now hopefully they'll be able to treat it!

8:59 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

We live right next to Kirkwood! I adore Fortel's, too, and Raconelli's, but I consider them all three so differen that they're incomparable! (Never mind Imo's, which most people wouldn't consider pizza anyway.)

Thanks for the congrats...really hoping this is a turning point.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home