Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Welcome back to your life

I had five days of bliss.  Five days where my largest concern was misplacing one of my glittens.  (Found it, thankfully, under my suitcase.)  I had wine almost every night and woke up every morning when my eyes opened, not when the alarm on my phone went off.  I watched three movies, finished a book and started another one.  I went snowshoeing and shopping.  It was heaven.

I arrived back in the Lou at about 11 p.m. Monday night.  By shortly after midnight I was home, unpacked, and in bed.

Tuesday morning, I woke up fully immersed in my life, as if not a day had passed.

Running late for work that morning became running extra late when I realized I had to get gas and cat food.  I had to peel Zozer off me at school; her extra-clinginess stemming both from my finally being home and from her stomach that I thought was upset due to a small dinner the night before and not having breakfast yet.  By 8:15 the tank was full, the cats were out of danger of starvation, and I was at my desk.  Opening e-mail after e-mail that said, "Glad you're back...hope you had a great trip...can you help me with this TODAY?!"  Let's just say that the projects I didn't get done last week are in danger of not getting done this week, either.  A personal email informed me of an uncle who broke his leg, requiring risky surgery.  Then the phone calls from Zoe's school began, with the blow-by-blow descriptions of Zoe's corporeal emissions.  She was the Queen of Disgusting Bodily Fluids, apparently.  Left work early to pick her up, run home, and create a dinner that was as bland as I could possibly make it for Her Royal Upchuck.  Then it took me 45 minutes to get her down for the night (Let's Cling to Mommy, part deux).

Pulled out the laptop and got a bit of work done, and then found myself nodding off over the keyboard.

It's my life, and I love it.  I love being a mommy (even the disgusting, inconvenient parts of it).  I love being a part of a big, loving family that really, truly prays for each other.  I love having a great job that I enjoy.  I love my little car that runs and runs, so long as I feed it gas, and I love having two furry creatures that keep me company no matter what I feed them.

The break was good.  The occasional time-out is necessary, and vital, and appreciated.  But it's the everyday real life that matters.  This is me and mine, for better and for worse, and all I can do is live as authentically as possible.  Welcome home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home