Tuesday, April 27, 2010

RI here I come!

Heading out tomorrow, on the 6:35 a.m. flight to Chicago.  From there, I hop on over to Providence, Rhode Island.  I find it ironic that my first business trip with my new company takes me to exactly where M goes for most of his business trips these days.  That's piled on top of the heaping coincidence that we both work for the U.S. subsidiaries of French conglomerates.

Anyway.

Having never been to Rhode Island, I'm pretty excited.  I love seeing new parts of the country.  This means that in less than one year, I'll have been to California (and all states in between via train), Florida, Chicago and now Rhode Island.

I'm taking the camera, hoping that I might have a chance to rattle off a few shots here and there.  I'm going on ride-alongs with my northeast territory manager, who seems pretty cool from the few short phone conversations and e-mails we've exchanged.  It's a good way to see what our sales reps have to do on a daily basis, and learn what they need from a marketing standpoint.  It's also a great way for me to see the business from the front lines.

I'm only gone three days, which is a good amount of time.  I'll miss Zozer tremendously, but won't be gone so long that it starts to become distracting.  At least, that's what I'm telling myself.

My room is booked at the Hampton Inn near the airport, which is actually in Warwick, RI, although everyone calls it Providence.  M asked me the other night, "Where are you staying?"  When I told him, his eyes lit up.  Apparently that's his hotel when he goes up there.  I then got the complete run-down of the restaurant across the street and the breakfast offerings at the Hampton.  Methinks he's been there too much.

This is my first real "big girl" business trip, where I travel alone.  I've traveled alone on vacation-type trips before, but I've never gone out to meet a coworker I don't know and spend three days with her.  Mostly, I've done trade shows with colleagues, that sort of thing.  But, I figure, I did go up to ChiTown and spend a few days with a friend I had never met before, so this will probably be similar.  Only with an expense account.

Mmmmm.  Starbucks at the airport.

I will try to blog from up there, at night, in the hotel room, but I won't be able to post pictures.  I could take my card reader to dump images to the laptop, but my new work laptop doesn't come with Photoshop.  Or any photo editing/layout software.  Apparently now that I've reached executive management, we hire others to do that sort of thing.  Bummer.

Time to sleep.  Morning will come too soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Natalie Mikolajczak said...

How exciting! A business trip. I've always dreamed of traveling for business.
I hope you get a minute to take some pictures. I, too, would love to visit Rhode Island.

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home