Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Playground Duty

Today was my day to serve as playground monitor at Zozer's school. There was a funeral mass going on at church, so I was essentially a traffic cop making sure students crossed safely from the school to the field for recess. It was a beautiful day and I got to see my kid, so I really didn't mind.

Out of sheer boredom, perhaps, I started noticing patterns of paint on the asphalt. I just kind of liked how they looked, so between shifts I wandered around and made some images. Yes, I am easily amused.

The best part of the day, though, was at the end of the first shift. My favorite kindergartner ran up to me at the bell, holding out a tiny flower. "This is for you, Mommy, because I love you!" She gave me a quick hug and a kiss and was gone. Back to her classroom for more learning and coloring and singing and fun.

I held the little flower through the two remaining shifts, about an hour, and then brought it home and propped it up in a little plastic cup of water. She was well pleased to see it there when she got home from school later, which made me happy all over again.

We are two peas in a pod, and I am thrilled all over again that I found a new job that enables me to stay in town and experience moments like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home