Wednesday, January 25, 2012

reload

25:365

My hard drive started failing in Orlando. One day it bogged way down, then took me four tries to get it to reboot. I gimped along and worked on it for 2.5 days after returning. Monday afternoon I went to the Apple Store where the Genius plugged in a diagnostic cable and wrinkled up his forehead. "Are you backed up?"

I wasn't. Because our old, decrepit network at the office is full of outdated garbage and wouldn't hold my 96GB of files.

I'm not sure if it was exhaustion or having a hundred other things on my mind or blind faith in my beloved Mac, but I did not lose my shit. I didn't even wince. I marched over to the accessories wall and selected a 500GB external drive. I handed it to the Genius along with my Amex. "Here. Back it up, then replace the drive. Call me when you're done." The new drive is covered under warranty, and the external unit was $110 and something I need for backups anyway since the network is worthless.

He said he did not think he'd be able to back it up, but he'd try. I said, "It'll work."

Then I left, picked up more banana boxes from the grocery on the way, and came home to work on my personal Mac.

At 7:38 that night the Genius called. "I got everything backed up. Your new hard drive is being installed and you should be able to pick it up tomorrow morning."

I picked it up, along with my new external drive, but continued to work from home as I had pressing deadlines and no time to reinstall all my software.

That was this morning's task. Took me four hours to get everything reloaded and configured, but I'm back in business.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I'm such a huge Apple fan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home